Thursday, December 24, 2009

Riding downtown

My last journey was west. Now, let's try south. Same mission as before - fetch a backpack of groceries and see what the issues are. The route for this normally has more traffic since it's the heart of downtown. Although there is more traffic, the road is also wider, well lit and is a shorter journey. As before, automobile drivers were respectful.

Having a bike allows me to ride downtown and park for free. Right in front of the store is a perfect place to lock up the bike. It's out of the weather, well lit and even features a robust bar to lock up at. If more people start using trikes, I suspect this premium parking spot will become unavailable. However, for now, it's rare to see bikes tied up in front of the store. I do wonder when this will change.

I only had one slightly annoying incident. I threw the chain off the front sprocket at an intersection since the shifter limit was set improperly. Fortunately, I worked the shifter so the chain worked back onto the sprocket while gliding through the intersection. A slight adjustment on the derailer should take care of that problem.