Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Now, let's go northeast a bit.

I decided to go to the discount mall on the northeast side of town. The main mission is to pick up some toggle switches for the signal bar I'll eventually mount to the trike. However, while I'm there, I've also decided to pick up some calories for all these excursions. The dollar store is a perfect place for that kind of thing. The strip-mall destination at first glance is rather challenging since the traffic is usually quite heavy towards this end of town. However, taking back roads allows entrance to the parking lot from the rear.

On flat ground, I can usually sustain around 10mph with no problem but hills and traffic decrease this average speed. At 15 degrees, my face shield does fine shielding me from the wind. However, it fogs up quickly. Plus, there is a surprising bit of salt thrown up by passing cars and also the front wheels since I currently have no fenders. This isn't obvious during the journey but becomes apparent when I bring my face shield home to dry off then see the salt streaks left behind. Also, the bike has quite a few salt streaks on it as well.

I'm eventually building up enough stamina to be able to zig-zag through cross streets to reach "the strip". Here will be various car dealerships, a McDonald's, Taco Bell and the consumer holy-of-holy places, Walmart. Ironically, one popular destination for me doesn't seem to be easily reachable by trike. The bike shop at the edge of town!