Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Winter damage, not too bad.

Most of the Winter Trike seems unaffected by salt thanks to generous use of lubricants and a freshwater rinsing after each winter ride. Unfortunately, I didn't get to ride the trike for about 2 months. So, it sat in my garage. I found that there was some rust on some bolt tops but nothing serious. What I didn't expect was a section of rather bad rust on a small chain section! I think it might have been caused by moisture and salt sitting either in the chain tube or on the idler gear (hard to say which one). Fortunately, a generous amount of gear oil on the chain seems to have taken care of that issue or at least stopped further rusting. After that, a tire pressure check and check of lighting batteries. All fine. The bike was then ready to go....somewhere. So, I took a trip to the grocery store. It works fine!